Yesterday, Apple has launched the iPad with it’s new iBooks (E-Book reader and online store) features. I think the iPad will be great for sheet music. All iPhone Apps, like iRealBook, will run there, too. Pretty interesting.
Massimo Biolcati, double bassist from NYC and developper of the iRealBook iPhone-App has updated his iRealBook Editor software for Mac. Even if you don’t own a iPhone (or iPod touch), the iRealBookEditor is a really useful piece of software. You can put together leadsheets very fast, transpose the changes, and print them out or send as PDF. Besides this, Massimo has also launched a Forum – you can now send your tunes to the iRealBook Forum, and discuss and share your transcribed changes with other musicians. You can also find and download a couple of alternate versions and new tunes there, that don’t come with the iPhone app (yet). Massimo has solved this integration very simple, but elegant.
My latest download from the iTunes App Store is iRealBook. Developped by double bassist Massimo Biolcati from Brooklyn/NYC, iRealBook features the chord changes of more than 600 RealBook tunes. Due to copyright laws, melodies and lyrics are missing – but as a bass player, you don’t necessarily need them. Having 600+ tunes in your pocket is great, but being able to transpose them instantly to any key is a killer. “Round Midnight in A major? No problem, dear vocalist … !“
You can choose tunes alphabetical, by composer or style, and you can put together playlists. Existing tunes can be corrected or changed, and you can add new, own tunes to your library. Fellow musicians without iRealBook, but an iPhone, can get particular tunes by email.
I rate this iApp five stars!
Main Features of iReal Book 2.1 :
• Song Editor that allows the user to modify existing songs and to create new ones.
• Ability to share user modified or created songs via email.
• 600 songs included (see Song List page).
• Each Song can easily be transposed to any key.
• Each chord sheet fits on one screen, no need to scroll.
• Big fonts, easily legible from a distance.
• Night theme option (white notation over black).
• Swipe to next/previous song.
• Ability to create playlists.
• Eb and Bb transpositions for horn players.
• Option to disable screen auto-lock.
• Growing database of songs (requests and submissions are welcomed).